Saturday, October 15, 2005

The brothers gather

When young people fall in love, they rush into things, allowing their passion to sweep aside reason.

But at my age, wisdom rules.

At least that’s what I told myself.

So I waited.

Two long days.

Two days full of butterflies in my stomach.

Two days of snickers from Peter.

Maybe his nickname – Black Peter – did have some merit after all!

On Sunday, I went to Mass. I sat at the back, as was my custom.

Anna Kristina and her family sat at the front, as was their custom.

She did not turn once.

But I had the feeling she knew I was there.

At the end of Mass, I waited until I was sure her family was home.

I went up to their front door and knocked.

Her father greeted me.

“Ah," he said, a knowing smile on his face. “We have been expecting you. Come in.”

He led me into their parlor, where Anna Kristina sat.

She was flanked by her brothers.

All of them.

All of them standing with their arms folded!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home