Friday, October 14, 2005

An answer without words

I remained hidden in the bushes.

My heart was breaking.

I was sure that she was in love with another man. A younger man. A handsome man.

It was at that moment that a bug flew up my nose. I sneezed.

“Who’s there?” Anna said, wiping her eyes.

I stepped out from the bushes.

“Sorry I startled you,” I said. I pointed to my nose. “A bug.”

“Oh.”

We both smiled awkwardly.

“Well,” she finally said. “I need to get back to the shop.”

“Yes. Well…”

She picked up her honey bucket and turned to leave.

Say something, you fool, I thought.

I moved toward her.

“It that heavy,” I said, pointing to the bucket. “Do you need a hand?”

“No, thank you. My cart is near.”

We both smiled awkwardly again.

Suddenly I burst out laughing. It was all so silly.

Then she laughed.

We laughed until the tears ran down our faces.

I wiped my eyes and looked at her.

“You know,” I said. “You are beautiful when you laugh. And when you cry.”

She looked at me with uncertainty.

“In fact, you look beautiful all the time. I’m sorry I never said that sooner.”

She touched her hand to her cheek. She smiled ever so slightly.

“Thank you,” she said. “You are kind.”

“Just honest.”

She shifted the bucket to her other hand.

“It is heavy,” I said. “Let me carry it for you.”

She gave it up willingly. We walked side by side to her cart. I put the bucket in the back, then offered her a hand to help her up.

She took my hand. But instead of climbing into the cart, she suddenly pulled herself toward me and kissed me on the lips.

Then she let my hand go, jumped onto her cart, and shook the reins.

I watched as she disappeared.

I smiled.

I knew then that I would indeed have to talk to the Bishop of Freising.

But not yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home