Saturday, December 26, 2009

Catching up on mail (and some poems)

Things have begun to slow down - though I still have more deliveries.

But I'm also beginning to get the post-Christmas season mail.

I receive a number of thank you notes (remember, with some families and some countries I start delivers December 65!). I am always happy to receive such notes. They also help the writers to get a head start on the "Nice List" for next year! (Yes, that list begins to be compiled December 25 - so how you act on Christmas Day could affect next Christmas!)

I also got a card and some poems from my friend Lee, who helps me with this blog. They arrived before Christmas, and while the card got hung, the poems were put aside.

I looked at them today.

Ho! Ho! Ho!

He has an odd sense of humor.

Mrs. Claus liked

Aunt Ann’s old fruitcake
arrived for Christmas again
(no, not Uncle Ed)

There were a few that mentioned me and some of my dear friends.

Next year, Santa, please
along with your reindeer bring
a pooper scooper


Now now. They are very well behaved when it comes to that.

finding stale cookies
Santa raids the cheapskate’s fridge –
ah, a pecan pie


While I do enjoy pecan pie, I would never actually go in anyone's refrigerator (unless they left a note inviting me to get something out of it).


half-eaten cookie
clutched in Santa’s stiff fingers –
wicked witch cackles

prone beneath the tree
an unconscious Santa Claus –
Ned’s booby trap worked


Oh my. Of course, such things would never really work.

practical joke with
Ex Lax explains why reindeer’s
nickname was “Dumper”

There is no "Dumper" among the reindeer.

Clem’s birthday shotgun
provided the Christmas feast –
Rudolph’s final flight


Rudolph was not happy, Lee. He might visit you - without a pooper scooper!

They were all meant in jest, of course. I got a chuckle out of them.

Besides, Lee has also written some of my favorite Christmas-related poems, including

A Mall Santa's Prayer

As I hold each precious child
let me treat each one
with the love and care I'd show
Your most holy Son.

Amen to that. I try to keep that in mind in all that I do in this blessed ministry to children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home