Thursday, July 14, 2005

The reason for the season

There are many pictures and statues of me around the world.

I have been shown as fat and skinny, tall and short, Black and White and Oriental.

I have been shown dressed in red and green and white and fur.

I have been shown doing all sorts of things, including fishing, sleeping, riding a motorcycle, playing basketball, and, of course, riding my sleigh.

There are as many ways of showing me as you can imagine.

But the ones I love the most are the ones that show me praying at the manger. After all, Christmas is the birthday of Jesus.

Here’s a site that shows one such figure: Kneeling Santa

And here are some poems about me praying.

KNEELING SANTA PRAYER

The sleigh was all packed, the reindeer were fed,
But Santa still knelt by the side of his bed,
"Dear Father, " he prayed, "Be with me tonight.
There's much work to do and my schedule is tight.
My sack will hold toys to grant all kids' wishes.
The supply will be endless like the loaves and the fishes.
I can do all these things, Lord, only through You.
I just need your blessing, then it's easy to do.
I do this only to honor the birth of the One,
That was sent to redeem us, Your most Holy Son.
So to all of my friends, lest Your glory I rob,
Please, Lord, remind them who gave me this job."

Santa’s Prayer

On Christmas Eve I heard a sound
I'd never heard before.
A voice was softly speaking
And I wanted to hear more.

So very quietly I arose
From the bed where I was laying.
I tiptoed to the living room
Where I heard Santa praying.

"Dear Jesus, It's your birthday
And I just want to say,
Thanks for letting me be a part
Of your very special day."

"I always have believed in you
I know that you are real.
But there are some who don't believe
And how sad that makes me feel."

"Some houses have no Bible
They have no manger scene.
Some people speak of Christmas
But forget what it really means."

I pray someday they all will know
What Your love's worth, and then
I know that they will understand
The importance of your birth.
Amen!"

I always knew Santa brought toys
Like my truck and my sister's doll
But on this night I understood
Why Santa is the jolliest of all.

It is because he helps to spread
Good will and Christmas cheer.
And he helps Jesus celebrate
His birthday every year.

Then I quietly returned to my room
And snuggled back in my bed.
Knowing I'd always remember
The words that Santa had said.

In the morning I remembered
what I had heard and seen.
But I wasn't sure if it was real
Or just a wonderful dream?

-- Author unknown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home